For most Austrian universities, you can simply apply online by submitting the application form along with all requested application documents. However, it is always recommended that you check with your chosen university. As in some cases, you will also have to send documents by post.
The application process can be lengthy, in some cases taking up to six months; so you’re encouraged to apply as early as possible to allow time for your application to be processed. Austrians are strict about administrative procedures – deadlines are non-negotiable and you should make sure you’ve supplied the correct documents.
Choose a Programme:
This is the initial and most important step. Make a plan of the person you aspire to be in the following years. Follow your dreams and passions but also take into account the technological and societal changes of the future when picking the profession you want to have in the future. After that, decide the level of studies. Is it a Bachelor’s, a Master’s, or do you want to focus on research with a Ph.D.? Bachelor’s studies in Austria almost exclusively taught in German, so make sure you acquire the necessary language proficiency level for admission?
To learn more about the AUSTRIAN universities Programmes and their Structure in detail read my Article General Information About AUSTRIAN Universities Programmes.
Check the Admission Requirements:
Every university either public or private and every program, based on the discipline is unique and might have particular requirements for entry. Contact the program coordinators through an email from the official website; if you have any questions about the admission criteria or if something is unclear before you start gathering all the documentation. Great preparatory work makes outstanding applications!
Here are a few important steps to keep in mind:
- Carefully check all the required application documents and make sure they are all translated into English or German. For instance, an internationally recognised Bachelor’s degree or equivalent is the main requirement when enrolling in a Master’s degree at a university in Austria.
- Make sure to know what the language requirements are; and whether you need to prove skills in English before enrolling in a degree programme.
- Show how you performed as a student; and be sure to know what your Grade Point Average (GPA) was during your studies.
- To help your chances of going to Austria, be sure to apply to more than one university!
Further knowing about Requirements in detail read the Article Requirements for the Admission to AUSTRIAN Universities.
Prepare the Paperwork:
Probably the least fun part of the process and the most stressful one, but if you well prepared; there is nothing to worry about. The application process for Austrian universities requires the following documents:
- Proof of citizenship in combination with an official identification with photo, identity card or a passport and copies of them.
- Passport size photographs.
- A-level, High school diploma from your country of origin or equivalent certification.
- Transcript of records with the grades of your previous education/studies.
- Motivation letter written by you stating the reason you chose the program.
- Various filled-out forms:
- Application form for admission
- Registration form
- Form for statistics
- Student document of identification with photograph attached
- Form for continuation
- A recommendation letter from your previous professors might also asked.
- Proof of language proficiency in English through TOEFL or IELTS.
- Proof of German language proficiency depending on the program and level of studies; you are applying for through ÖSD, TestDaF, Goethe Institut or Telc Deutsch.
- application fee payment proof.
- Proof of your bank statements that are sufficient to support you through your studies.
Submit Your Application:
The difficult part is gone, you have gathered all the necessary documentation. Now is time for your study application. The application process for Austrian universities is administered by the universities themselves since there is no central application system. Therefore, you need to contact the universities you aim to apply for and they will provide you with more specific information.
All the applications submitted online; but there might be institutions that require you to send all the official documents through the post. Bear in mind that this might need additional time so don’t delay sending everything on time. If you apply through the Austrian Embassy or Consulate of your country of origin; your application will be automatically forwarded to the educational institution you chose.
The respective university (the decision is made by the vice-chancellor).