In Austria, it is a legal requirement that you have health insurance for the visa; cover for the duration of your time in the country. If you are from an EU or EEA member state, or from Switzerland; it is sufficient to bring your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC); so long as you have valid health insurance in your home country.
The Austria visa insurance requirements are as follows:
- EU/ EEA Countries or Switzerland; As long as you have a valid European Health Insurance Card. You will be able to cover through the healthcare system in Austria; just like in your home country
- Non-EU/ EEA Students; for all other students, you will need to show proof of health insurance as part of your residency permit application. This will require a letter from your insurance company stating you have coverage for your time there.
Although students from the EU with a valid European Health Insurance Card are not required to purchase insurance for their residency application. Highly recommended to still purchase insurance to cover you for benefits such as repatriation, evacuation, and more.
Nationals of EU/EEA Countries :
If you are a citizen of a European Union member country and have a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). his will grant you access to the same state-provided public healthcare that is available to people permanently living in Austria.
In some EU countries, the EHIC is not issued automatically. You will have to ask your health insurance provider to issue a travel certificate which serves as proof of your insurance status.
Alternatively, students can also take out private health insurance corresponding to the standard of the Austrian local public carriers. You can also purchase additional travel health insurance for the duration of your stay. As this might cover costs that are not covered by statutory health insurance in Austria. (e.g. costs of medicine, consultation by a private doctor).
Nationals of Third Countries :
You are a student from a third country if your country of origin is not one of the European Union.
Students from outside this area usually purchase a private international health insurance policy. It’s important to make sure that your health insurance fulfills the requirements of your visa; as well as is fully valid across Austria.
This kind of health insurance known as self-insurance (Studentenselbstversicherung) provided by the regional health insurance (Wiener Gebietskrankenkasse – WGKK) once you are in Vienna. The average cost of private health insurance in Austria is approximately 220 EUR (243 USD) per month. However, prices vary considerably depending on factors such as age and the features included in each health insurance plan, and this will cover you for any necessary medical expenses for the duration of your stay. This policy will be with Wiener Gebietskrankenkasse.
Students admitted to an Austrian university or UAS degree program as a regular degree program and may take out comprehensive health insurance with one of the local public carriers (Österreichische Gebietskrankenkasse).
This insurance is only available to Austrians and foreigners who have established legal residence in Austria (and fulfill several requirements regarding the duration of studies, change of study programs, income; and study programs already completed). Forms to apply for this insurance coverage are available at the respective Gebietskrankenkasse branch offices; and the Austrian Student Union (ÖH – Österreichische Hochschülerschaft).
In order to take out self insurance you will require to provide the following documents:
- The application form for self insurance
- University enrolment documents (“Studienblatt” and “Studienbestätigung”)
- Your passport or Personal ID
- Confirmation of registration from your municipal authority.
Important Notice :
- If you are applying for a visa or residence permit, you will need travel/health insurance before entering Austria. Certain conditions apply as to which types of insurance will accept. So ask for details at the Austrian embassy in your country before choosing an insurance plan.
Most students decide to purchase travel and health insurance from Feelsafe or Care Concept as they can be handled online.
Learn More About Requirements for AUSTRIA Student Visa.
Leave a Reply