Persons who are neither EEA citizens nor Swiss, and who do not already have a right of residence or a residence title in Austria for any other reason; require a residence permit to study in Austria.
The following requirements must be fulfilled for the matriculation of a foreign citizen (or a stateless person); as a regular student in Austrian university degree programs:
- A place to study has to be available at the university for the desired course of study.
- The applicant must have an A-level or high school diploma, that can be considered equivalent to an Austrian Matura examination certification (either regulated by an agreement or in individual cases decided by the vice-chancellor, possibly with certain requirements) or furnish proof of completion of a three year (minimum) study at another certified post-secondary educational institution.
- The certification must be sufficient for acceptance to the desired course of study at a university in the country in which it was acquired. Any study-related requirements (e.g. entrance examination); must be fulfilled in the country in which the A-level or high school diploma was issued.
- If the desired course of study in Austria is not offered in the home country, then this proof is to be furnished regarding the most similar course of study. Only if the country does not have a university, this proof does not have to be submitted.
- In addition, the applicant must have sufficient German knowledge. If necessary, an examination is to take.
- To EU and EEA citizens, the same application periods apply to Austrian residents.
- At the universities of the arts, the same application periods apply to foreigners as to Austrian residents, and admission is based on the entrance examination.
At the latest by 5 September or 5 February every year for the following semester.
Only those foreigners who come to Austria for a short time in the context of an Erasmus program; (and thus do not intend to complete an entire course of study) do not need to take an entrance examination.
Make Sure You Qualify for an Austrian University:
Take Preparation Courses:
These kinds of courses enable degree-seeking students to get an extra educational boost just before they start their Master’s degree or other post-graduate degree programs.
Try a pre-M.B.A., pre-Law, or pre-Medicine program, as well as any other foundation or preparation courses that will allow you to study in the degree program of your choice.
Improve Your English through an English Language Prep Course:
If you’re attending a degree program in Austria; you will sometimes need to prove that your language skills are good enough to participate in the classes and understand the lectures. These courses will also prepare you for any of the English language tests that universities require.
There are over 200 English-taught programs in Austria.
Universities in Austria will want to see proof that you have good English language skills so that you can easily succeed in their courses. Almost all Austrian universities accept these official English exams:
- PTE Academic
- C1 Advanced
To know How to Apply to AUSTRIAN Universities, and what documents are required Read the Article How to Apply to AUSTRIAN Universities?